Field trips are an integral part of Willow's curriculum. As part of our experiential learning program, we believe that children learn best by doing and by being immersed in experiences.
Field trips allow children 'real life' exposure to many of the concepts and ideas they are learning in the classroom. These field trips are an alternative to being exclusively in the classroom. This helps cement concepts learned in class and re-enforces the learning of them.
Each month students visit businesses, organizations and events both locally and across the state. Some of the places we have visited on our field trips include:
- County Pools
- Disney Epcot Center, Orlando
- Environmental Learning Center, Vero Beach
- Florida Keys
- Florida Oceanographic Center, Hutchison Island
- Fort Desoto State Park, St. Petersburg
- Gainesville, FL
- Harbor Branch Oceanographic Center, Ft. Pierce
- Heritage Center, Vero Beach
- Indian River County Courthouse, Vero Beach
- Local Beaches & Parks
- Lyric Theatre, Stuart
- McKee Garden, Vero Beach
- Medieval Times, Kissimee
- Mel Fisher Museum, Sebastian
- McLarty Museum, Senastian
- NASA Space Center, Merritt Island
- Orlando Science Museum, Orlando
- Oslo Road Conservation Area, Vero Beach
- Publix Grocery Store
- Riverside Children's Theatre, Vero Beach
- Salvador Dali Museum, St. Petersburg
- Vero Beach Post Office
- Wekiwa Springs
- Washington D.C.
Our emphasis on fieldtrips is something our school curriculum shares with many homeschool families, making us an alternative school program for them. Many homeschool families have the freedom to take their children on trips, and use them as a way to teach. Often homeschool families find Willow to be a great alternative school program for them.